Australia tops the polls for the most dog friendly beaches in the world according to 10,000 animal lovers
Beaches in Brisbane, Perth and Floreat all top the recommendations; Melbourne has the most dog-friendly cafes and South Bank in Brisbane is the number one place to walk a four legged friend in Australia, according to a list of the 100 most pet-friendly places in the world*, recommended by more than ten thousand members of TrustedHousesitters.com.
From over 54,000 locations that were recommended worldwide, 20 Aussie places made the top 100 list, pipped at the post by the UK with 30, followed by the USA with 26. Australia took the top spot for the world’s most pet-friendly beaches, while the UK had the most pet friendly tourist attractions.
When it comes to keeping our four-legged friends fit and healthy, Australia leads the way having more dog-friendly beaches than any other country. Open spaces like North Stradbroke Island and the Big Banana in NSW, proved to be some of the most highly recommended for a dog’s day out. “We’ve collated these recommendations over the past two years and a handful of countries, including the UK, USA and Australia are leading the way with pet-friendly cafes and attractions. It’s great to see Australia take 20 of the 100 spots, really driving home that the nation is one of pet lovers,” said TrustedHousesitters.com Managing Director Tim Lyons.
General Manager for The Big Banana Fun Park Michael Lockman said: “Being pet lovers ourselves, we have made it as easy as possible for those travelling with pets to be comfortable in the park.”
“Travellers enjoy stopping for not only their iconic selfie in front of The Big Banana with their pet, but also to have a break and stretch their legs and allowing pets gives them a break to stretch their legs too. Pets can be walked around our park (outside the attractions) and there is also designated pet friendly seating outside the Café/Gift Shop, so everyone can enjoy a delicious meal together! Pets are an important part of many families lives and we encourage travelling with them whenever possible.”
The house and pet sitting site created its top 100 list after animal lovers in 130 countries shared their favourite pet-friendly destinations. The list has been released to celebrate the launch of the new TrustedHousesitters app, which goes live today, making it even easier, to connect with caring, verified house and pet sitters who are willing to take care of pets for free, helping more owners to travel more often with greater peace of mind.
Available on the App Store, the TrustedHousesitters app is free to download and enables owners and sitters to connect and stay in touch, making the most of local points of interest and places to walk pets – no matter where they are in the world.
Australia’s Most Pet-Friendly Places:
1. South Bank, Brisbane (world #7)
2. North Stradbroke Island, Moreton Bay, Queensland (world #12)
3. Hahndorf German Settlement, Adelaide Hills (world #21)
4. Safety Bay, Perth, Western Australia (world #26)
5. Big Banana, New South Wales (world #29)
6. Watiparinga Reserve, Adelaide, South Australia (world #36)
7. Ballarat Botanical Gardens Reserve, Victoria (world #38)
8. Gold Coast, Broadwater, Queensland (world #39)
9. Floreat/Peasholm Dog Beach, Floreat, Western Australia (world #42)
10. Lights In The Attic café, Hawthorn, Melbourne (world #44)
11. Lux Foundry, Melbourne (world #48)
12. Eumundi Markets, Sunshine Coast (world #50)
13. Kings Park, Perth (world #61)
14. Belle General Café, East Ballina, New South Wales (world #64)
15. Drift Café, Margaret River, Western Australia (world #66)
16. SkyHigh Mount Dandenong, Victoria (world #76)
17. Burns Beach Café, Perth (world #79)
18. The Pool Café, Peregian Springs, Queensland (world #81)
19. Yarralumla Gallery and The Oaks Brasserie, Canberra (world #85)
20. Mrs. S Café, Maylands, Western Australia (world #94)
Global Top 10 Most Pet-Friendly Places:
1. The Eden Project, Cornwall, UK
2. Lake Merritt, Oakland, USA
3. Piedmont Park, Piedmont, USA
4. Watercress Line, Hampshire, UK
5. Cashmere Hill Lookout, Victoria Park, New Zealand
6. Lost Gardens of Heligan, St. Austell, UK
7. South Bank, Brisbane, Australia
8. Verteuil-sur-Charente, France
9. Mission Bay, Auckland, New Zealand
10. Ibirapuera Park, Sao Paulo